MINING & CONSTRUCTION
FUTURE PROOF POWERTRAIN
- High Performance Batteries that will outlast the chassis.
- Clean Electric Power now to do the jobs of today and tomorrow.
Battery Electric Mining Equipment allows a mine to unlock a trifecta of benefits: improved health and safety, reduced greenhouse gas emissions, and a staggering reduction in operating cost.
Each horsepower of diesel engine underground requires 100 cubic feet per minute pumped down underground. Depending on the cost of electricity at a mine, that can run about $100,000 on average per machine, just in ventilation costs. Going electric eliminates that cost. Read more here.
ALTDRIVE is the most sophisticated and safest means to achieve these benefits. It was primarily created as a powertrain for large haulage equipment but is being adapted to development equipment and smaller utility equipment as well.
ALTDRIVE meets and exceeds all relevant mining and construction standards including the “GMSG Recommended Practices for Battery Electric Vehicles in Underground Mining”.
While we have had great success already in the Mining space we expect to have an even larger impact with the use of our Technology and our Provisional Patent for Large Heavy Haul Truck Electrification. We have already completed a preliminary study on the use of our technology on Haul Trucks for Underground Mining Larger than 40 Tonnes and are now looking to develop the first units.
Typical 40-50 Underground Mining Tonne Haul Truck Specifications:
- 200,000 GVW
- Fuel Consumption: 60,000 gal of Diesel Annually
- *Ventilation Required: 25,700 CFM
*These ventilation rates are recommended by CanmetMINING where some of the gases govern ventilation rates rather than the EQI criterion. (http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/mining-materials/green-mining/approved-diesel-engines/8180)
BORDEN RAMP – HAULAGE CYCLE
The well-publicized GOLDCORP Borden Lake (All Electric) project will need approximately 6 of these trucks which would mean ~3,654 Tonnes of CO2/Annually saved in GHG emissions and approximately $400,000.00 in ventilation savings per truck.
- Battery Electric is proven and available now to replace diesel-electric fleets in Mining and Construction
- The savings for electric are staggering and are making new and deeper deposits a reality.
- The health and safety benefits of an Electric system will create a better operating environment for your operation.
MacLean Engineering tasked MEDATECH with the challenge of delivering a working Battery electric powertrain in an extremely short timeline. The success of this machine weighed heavily on the performance and safety of the batteries. MEDATECH formed a partnership with the leading Lithium Ion battery producer in the world that has both the best energy density and charging performance. The machines are implemented in underground mining where charging infrastructure is difficult to manage.
- Using a design preparred for Ontario Power Generation MEDATECH was able to implement the battery technology extreamly fast for the MacLean machine
- Instead of offering multiple charging station MEDATECH devised a plan of mobile on-board charging that travels with the machine. This gave the units ultimate flexibility.
- Project Team was highly integrated with the MacLean engineering organization, aligned to objectives and committed to delivery.
- Amid the downturn in Mining this development allowed Maclean Engineering to gain market share in a new sector
- Thermal management via liquid cooling and heating allows the machines to operate in extream heat and cold. No other manufacturer has this capability.
- Advanced battery technology is both the safest and most energy dense.
- Fast charging and ultimate flexibility with on-board charger.
- MacLean Engineering landed a large order for the conversions to the GOLDCORP borden project. The units provided are the only truly battery electric utility machines being delivered to this site.
GOLDCORP has stated that their Borden Lake mine will be the first all Electric mine in Canada. Taking on this challenge meant acquiring many different pieces of machinery. Since Battery Electric equipment is still relatively new technology for the underground mining industry there are still several pieces of equipment that don’t have electric equivalents. Happy with the technology MEDATECH provided in the MacLean EV equipment, GOLDCORP and MacLean Engineering reached out to MEDATECH to see if we could do the dirty work of converting some of the more difficult and peculiar machines. Since the powertrain of the MacLean 977 had similar performance characteristics to a Motor Grader we accepted the challenge to convert and reman a used CAT 12M3 machine for the Borden Lake Project.
- 3D Scaning of Equipment ready for re-man
- Complete Electric Powertrain Design
- Supply and Installation of EV Powertrain
- Commissioning & Support of First EV Grader
100% BATTERY ELECTRIC
The High-Energy Density / High Cycle Life of the AKASOL NANO Lithium batteries powers the 100% electric ALTDRIVE powertrain. The batteries are stackable and modular and have already been applied to several mining and construction applications. This is a proven technology which eliminates pollutants and significantly reduces operating costs. Furthermore, our systems can be charged in as little as 15 mins.
Where infrastructure limits your ability to go 100% Electric ALTDRIVE can be equipped with several types of range-extenders. This includes proven diesel/CNG generator technology or cleaner hydrogen fuel cell technology. Coupled with our industry best fast charging technology, range-extended vehicles can see up to 25% reduction in overall fuel consumption and GHG emissions.
Note: Fuel Cells still require the consumption of oxygen to operate.